Although electric stoves are more popular in recent years, gas stoves are still the go-to appliance for professional and amateur chefs. Many users who prefer gas stoves will point out that in gas stoves:
However, there are some cons to using gas stoves, such as:
Regardless of the flexibility and convenience, a gas stove can add to your home. There are some concerns
about the safety of their usage. A gas stove functions with an open flame that can quickly light up any
flammable material it comes in contact with. Examples of flammable materials you may use in your kitchen are
oven mitts, dish towels, cleaning rags together with a loose piece of clothing, or even long hair.
Another danger of gas stoves is gas leaks. When the stove is left on for a long time, or there are gas line leaks, it can result in carbon monoxide poisoning, which can cause:
Furthermore, while gas explosions are uncommon, they are not impossible to occur. If there is a gas leak, any spark can set it off. However, modern gas stoves have many safety features to prevent the case of an explosion. Nevertheless, it is essential for you to take precautions to avoid any accidents when using your gas stove.
Some tips that will help you to operate your gas stove safely are:
Whether you are moving to a new pace or suspect a gas leak in your home, it is a good idea to check the burners, pipe connection, and gas cylinder (if applicable). If you detect a rotten smell, you may have a gas leak. To see the leak's location, you can spread a goo-like substance around the gas connector. If the goo bubbles, you have a gas leak. Don’t turn on your stove until the gas leak is resolved.
As carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, it can not be detected by the naked eye. Therefore, to keep your home safe from gas leaks, place at least three or more carbon monoxide detectors around your home. They must be located outside your kitchen because they will be triggered every time you use your stove and close to the ground. Gas naturally falls and fills a space upward.
When installing the carbon monoxide detectors, test them a few times to ensure they are working correctly. If a loud beep goes off, you must open all doors and windows, contact emergency assistance and get your family out of the house immediately.
Dizziness, headaches, nausea, and vomiting are some symptoms caused by exposure to Carbon Monoxide emissions. You may be inhaling toxic carbon monoxide from your stove if you experience any of these symptoms while cooking.
For you to use your gas stove safely and for a long time, it is essential to give it adequate maintenance. Daily cleaning is necessary. After the burners and grates have cooled down, take them out and wash them in soapy water. Use a toothpick or any sharp utensil to clear any leftover food or debris from the burners.
If you don’t have the time to take your burners out to give them a proper cleaning, you can use a metal brush for a quick, efficient cleaning. When you notice that the burner is not lighting all the way around, it can be due to some grease or leftover food blockage. You can quickly clean those obstructed holes by using a wire brush. The adequate wire brush should have metal or very stiff nylon bristles specifically designed to clean the metal parts of your gas stove, such as the burners.
Proper flame management while cooking on your gas stove is crucial for your and your home's safety. Controlling the flame is easy on your gas stove. You can bring it as low as you can barely notice, but never as high as it comes out of the cookware placed on the burner. Also, remember not to leave your burners on when you are not cooking. An unattended flame can cause serious fire accidents.
The easiness and versatility of the flame are what many cooks like about gas stoves. However, when using the lower settings, you should be careful because the light may go off, but the gas line may still be open. Gas can quickly fill your kitchen, which is explosive and unsuitable for breathing. When cooking in low flame settings, keep an eye out that the burner is still on.
You should use adequate cookware to keep your gas stove functioning properly and risk-free. Never use plastic, melamine, glass utensils, or cookware with your gas stove. Choose cookware that is anti-corrosive and non-inflammable, such as copper for example. Also, clean ad dry your utensils thoroughly before placing them on your gas stove.
There is usual practice to place objects around your stove. However, these can cause an accident easily. Plastic utensils, foil paper, and airtight containers are fire hazards. Thus they should not be placed around the gas stove, especially when it is on. You should only use gas-safe cookware and utensils to avoid any accidents.
There is a common misconception that water should be used to put out fires in your kitchen. However, this practice can get you in more trouble than resolve the problem. Get a fire extinguisher for your kitchen and learn how to use it. Furthermore, keep emergency contact information at hand in case of fire.
The burner knobs on your gas stove work differently than an electric stove. While the knobs on an electric stove turn the burners on or off, they open the gas line on a gas stove. You need to push and turn the burner knobs on your gas stove to get the flame for cooking. If you lean on the burner knobs, you may open the gas line, provoking a dangerous gas leak. Keep in mind not to lean on the burner knobs of your gas stove.
While it is essential to clean and maintain your gas stove regularly, you should also be aware that moving and pulling your stove while cleaning can put you at risk. Gas lines are something you should handle with care to prevent any accidents. Be aware of your gas line when you move your gas stove when cleaning it or performing a repair.